Sound & Image Challenge International Festival – VOLUME is a music-video competition promoting Macau original music to worldwide filmmakers to compete in Macau. Filmmakers worldwide participating this competition have to produce an MV based on one Macau original music/songs.
The MVs could be submitted via the following online platforms:
‘We encourage committed filmmakers to submit via FilmFestivalLife. With monthly subscriptions and pro accounts FilmFestivalLife is the smartest way to save money with a strategic approach. Join the platform where award-winning filmmakers and quality festivals meet.’
Please read the regulation before your submission, click here to download the file in PDF format.
- Sound & Image Challenge International Festival (“FESTIVAL”) – VOLUME is a MUSIC-VIDEO (“MV”) competition promoting Macau original music to worldwide filmmakers to compete in Macau.
- Filmmakers worldwide participating this competition have to produce an MV based on one Macau original song.
- The website of the FESTIVAL, provides access to a list of Macau original music in (“.wav”) format.
- Other original songs produced by Macau individual/band, not listed on the FESTIVAL’s website, may also be used.
- At least 1 member of the band must hold a valid Macau Resident ID Card (BIR – permanent or temporary) or Macau Working Permit (“Blue Card”) in order to be considered a Macau band.
- The song in the MV should be used in its full length (without editing).
- The entire sound track of the MV should only contain the song itself.
- IMPORTANT DATES AND VENUE
- The submission period is from 16th March to 20th August 2018. Unless an extension is announced by the Organiser, no entries will be accepted after this date.
- All shortlist will be screened to the public in Dom Pedro V Theatre from 4th to 9th December 2018 during the FESTIVAL.
- ENTRY TERMS
- Only original productions are admitted for VOLUME.
- VOLUME is open to anyone of any nationality and age.
- The songs provided by the FESTIVAL on the FESTIVAL’s website are for the sole purpose of MV productions for entering VOLUME only.
- Individuals/bands whose songs are listed on the FESTIVAL’s website gave consent for the songs to be used exclusively in the production of MVs submitted to VOLUME
- Using the songs for any other purposes requires the authorisation from the individuals/bands, and is out of the scope of the FESTIVAL.
- By participating in VOLUME, both the individuals/ bands and contestants have agreed the exhibition of their works in the scope of the FESTIVAL only.
- The MV should have the same run time as the song, with no more than 30 seconds allowed for intro and credits.
- Each MV submitted implies the filling and signing of one submission form VOLUME (except those submitted through online platforms).
- No entry fees.
- Entering an MV into this FESTIVAL implies the acceptance of the regulations.
- Each competitor can submit a maximum of 3 original MVs.
- If the song used is not listed on the FESTIVAL’s website, the contestant has to prove that it was produced by a Macau individual/band, according to point 1.5 of this regulation.
- The following items must be submitted and composed in ENGLISH:
for online platform, please complete the fields in the systems, minimum information include:
1) MV title, 2) duration, 3) credit, 4) director’s biography (max. 40 words).
for submission by email or post:
- VOLUME submission form properly filled in capital letters and signed (PDF format);
- Credits (PDF format);
- Director’s Biography (max. 40 words – PDF format);
- Downloadable video file and other submission items must be sent using one of the following methods:
- By e-mail to email@example.com in combination with a web-based file transfer platform (eg. ©Dropbox, ©WeTransfer) and/or file hosting service (e.g. ©Vimeo), protected by a password (preferred) – ©YouTube NOT preferred.
- By using one of the films online submission platforms listed on the FESTIVAL’s website.
- By post to CREATIVE MACAU – P.O. BOX 759, MACAU. Parcels must arrive at the mail box by 20th August 2018.
- For pre-selection purposes, competitors should submit their music videos with the following minimum quality optimized for streaming:
- Video File: QuickTime or mp4
- Resolution: 1280 x 720
- Frame Rate: 24, 25 or 30fps
- Codecs: 264 with AAC
- Note: If competitors prefer to use other technical specifications, approval should be obtained from the organising committee.
- The MVs must be submitted by either their Director or Producer, or by a representative nominated by the Director or the Producer.
- Failure to comply or provide any of the above requirements and documents may result in disqualification and the possible refusal of an entry to the competition.
- PRE-SELECTION AND EXHIBITION
- The organization and Macau bands are responsible for the selection process.
- The Organiser will ONLY notify the shortlisted competitors by 30th August 2018.
- Directors / Producers / Representatives of the shortlisted music videos must submit, within 2 weeks after being notified, a high-quality version of the video in the following format:
- Video File: QuickTime or mp4
- Resolution: 1920 × 1080
- Frame Rate: 24 fps
- Codecs: 264 with AAC
- Note: If competitors prefer to use other technical specifications, approval should be obtained from the Organiser.
- Competitors that fail to submit the final version by the designated deadline will be automatically excluded from the competition.
- The shortlisted MVs, with a valid final version submitted in accordance with paragraph 5.3 of the Regulation, will be publicly screened as part of the cultural program of the FESTIVAL during 4th to 9th December 2018
- Submitted music videos not in the shortlist might be included in the program of the Festival as a “Special Session”. The Organization will not pay any screening rights fees for public exhibition, including the “Special Session”.
- JURY AND AWARDS
- The shortlisted MVs, resulting from the pre-selection, will be sent to the Grand Jury.
- The Grand Jury is composed of professionals related to the media industry.
- The Grand Just will vote for the following prize:
- Best in VOLUME – MOP10,000
- The Jury will also nominate the winner of the following:
- Best song
- Best Visual Effects
- All winners will receive a trophy and a certificate.
- There will be no appeal to the decision made by the Grand Jury.
- All entries in the competition may be presented to the mass media and be edited in the promotional videos (up to a maximum of 10% of the total duration of the work), exclusively for the promotion of the FESTIVAL.
- After the FESTIVAL, the awarded entries may be screened in the FESTIVAL’s extensions in Macau and overseas film festivals, prior to the consent of the director/producer.
- GENERAL TERMS
- The medium (HDDs, USBs, DVDs, etc.) submitted for public screening will not be returned.
- Considering all legal issues, each competitor assumes full responsibility for the works admitted in the competition. The Organiser will decline any sort of responsibility regarding authorship issues.
- The Organiser reserves the right to consider and decide on any matter omitted in these regulations.
- Winners receiving cash prizes requesting a bank transfer and/or a payment in a foreign currency (other than MOP) are fully responsible for any fees applied by the bank during transfer.
- In case of doubt or discrepancy, the Portuguese version of this regulation shall prevail.