Sound & Image Challenge International Festival – SHORTS awards the best short films in the categories of FICTION, DOCUMENTARY, and ANIMATION worldwide, motivating local productions and encouraging overseas productions to compete in Macau. It is aimed at professionals in the field of audio-visual as well as novice entering the industry.
The films could be submitted via email or the following online platforms:
‘We encourage committed filmmakers to submit via FilmFestivalLife. With monthly subscriptions and pro accounts FilmFestivalLife is the smartest way to save money with a strategic approach. Join the platform where award-winning filmmakers and quality festivals meet.’
Click here to download the submission form for submitting through email.
Please read the below regulation before your submission, you can download the regulation in PDF here.
- Sound & Image Challenge International Festival (“FESTIVAL”) – SHORTS awards the best short films in the categories of FICTION, DOCUMENTARY, and ANIMATION worldwide, motivating local productions and encouraging overseas productions to COMPETE in Macau, as professionals in the field of audio-visual and new talents are the core of the industry.
- IMPORTANT DATES AND VENUE
- The submission period is from 16th March to 16th June 2018. Unless an extension is announced by the Organiser, no entries will be accepted after this date.
- All shortlist will be voted for the “Audience Choice” award and screened to the public in Dom Pedro V Theatre from 4th to 9th December 2018 during the FESTIVAL.
- ENTRY TERMS
- SHORTS is open to anyone of any nationality and age.
- The competition is open to films completed between January 1st, 2017 and June 16th, 2018. Films that were shortlisted in previous editions of the FESTIVAL will not be admitted.
- Each film submitted implies the filling and signing of one SHORTS submission form which can be downloaded from the FESTIVAL’s website (except those submitted through online platforms).
- Competitors incorporating into their own film any audio or visual material legally owned or copyrighted by a third party has to, upon request by the organizer, attach a proof of authorization from the third party.
- Third party material, copyrighted or not, must be cited during the on-screen credits sequence of the submitted film.
- No entry fees.
- Entering a film into this FESTIVAL implies the acceptance of these regulations.
- The Organiser only accepts films in the following categories: FICTION, DOCUMENTARY, and ANIMATION.
- The films must be submitted by either their Director or Producer or by a representative appointed by the Director or Producer.
- SHORTS only accept ONE film by the same director(s). If two or more films were received, only one will be accepted. With exceptions for local directors.
- Each film can have, including intro and credits, a maximum of 30 minutes in length for Fiction and Documentary and 15 minutes for Animation.
- All films submitted must either be in English or have English subtitles (either hardcoded or with a separate SRT file.)
- For pre-selection purposes, competitors should submit their films with the following minimum quality optimized for streaming:
- Video File: QuickTime or mp4
- Resolution: 1280 x 720
- Frame Rate: 24, 25 or 30fps
- Codecs: 264 with AAC
- The following items must be submitted and composed in ENGLISH:for the online platform, please complete the fields in the systems, minimum information include
1) Categories, 2) Film Title, 3) Duration, 4) Synopsis (max 40 words), 5) Credit, 6) Director’s Biography (max 40 words)
for submission by email or post:
- SHORTS submission form properly filled in capital letters and signed (PDF format);
- Synopsis (max 40 words – PDF format);
- Credits (PDF format);
- Director’s Biography 40max words (PDF format);
- Downloadable video files and other submission items must be sent by using one of the following methods:
- By e-mail to email@example.com in combination with a web-based file transfer platform (eg. ©Dropbox, ©WeTransfer) and/or file hosting service (e.g. ©Vimeo), protected by a password (preferred) – ©YouTube NOT preferred.
- By using one of the films Online submission platforms listed on the FESTIVAL’s website.
- By post to CREATIVE MACAU – O. BOX 759, MACAU. Parcels must arrive at the mailbox by 16th June 2018.
- Submitted films should correspond to the SYNOPSIS and SHORTS SUBMISSION FORM.
- Failure to comply or provide any of the above requirements and documents may result in disqualification and the possible refusal of entry to the competition.
- OFFICIAL SELECTION
- The Organiser will ONLY notify the shortlist by 10th August 2018.
- Directors / Producers / Representatives of the shortlisted films must submit, within 2 weeks after being notified an ENGLISH subtitle .SRT file and an HQ version of the video in the following format:
- Video File: QuickTime or mp4
- Resolution: 1920 × 1080
- Frame Rate: 24 fps
- Codecs: 264 with AAC
- Note: If competitors submit files with other technical specifications, approval should be obtained from the Organiser.
- Competitors that fail to submit the final version by the designated deadline will be automatically excluded from the competition.
- The shortlisted films, with a valid final version submitted in accordance with paragraph 5.2of the Regulation, will be publicly screened as part of the cultural program of the FESTIVAL during 4 – 9 December 2018.
- Submitted films not in the shortlist might be included in the program of the Festival as a “Special Session”. The Organization will not pay any screening rights fees for public exhibition, including the “Special Session”.
- JURY AND AWARDS
- The juries are responsible for the selection process.
- The shortlisted films, resulting from the pre-selection of FICTION, DOCUMENTARY, ANIMATION and, as well as other shortlisted films qualified for “Best Local Entry” and “Macau Cultural Identity”, will be sent to the Grand Jury.
- The Grand Jury Panel is composed of international experts to judge and decide on the winner of each of the following categories:
- Fiction – MOP10,000
- Documentary – MOP10,000
- Animation – MOP10,000
- The Grand Jury will also vote for the following prizes:
- Best Film of the FESTIVAL – MOP20,000
- Best Local Entry – MOP10,000
- Macau Cultural Identity – MOP10,000
- Winner of the “Best Local Entry” MUST hold a valid Macau Resident ID Card (BIR – permanent or temporary) or Macau Working Permit (“Blue Card”).
- If there is no winner for “Best Local Entry”, the sponsor will revert the prize value towards audio-visual training organised by CREATIVE MACAU for the local competitors of the FESTIVAL.
- During the public screenings at the FESTIVAL, the audience will vote for the:
- Audience Choice – MOP4,000
- A Jury will also nominate the winner of the following:
- Best Director
- Best Cinematography
- Best Editing
- Best Music
- Best Sound Design
- Best Visual Effects
- All winners will receive a trophy and a certificate.
- The Grand Jury and Organiser can also recognise any film with a special award.
- There will be no appeal to the decision made by the Jury and the Organization.
- All entries in the competition may be presented to the mass media and be edited in promotional videos (up to a maximum of 10% of the total duration of the work), exclusively for the promotion of the FESTIVAL.
- After the FESTIVAL, the awarded entries may be screened in the FESTIVAL’s extensions in Macau and overseas film festivals, prior to the consent of the director/producer.
- GENERAL TERMS
- The medium (HDDs, USBs, DVDs) submitted for public screening will not be returned.
- Only original films are admitted for selection. Considering all legal issues, each competitor assumes full responsibility for the works admitted in the competition. The Organiser will decline any sort of responsibility regarding authorship issues.
- The Organiser reserves the right to consider and decide on any matter omitted in these Regulations.
- Winners receiving cash prizes requesting a bank transfer and/or a payment in a foreign currency (other than MOP) are fully responsible for any fees applied by the bank during transfer.
- In case of doubt or discrepancy, the Portuguese version of this Regulation shall prevail.